Adding Your Voter List to Electionbuddy
You can copy and paste directly from Microsoft Excel or any other spreadsheet program, like Google Sheets, or Numbers on your Macintosh or iPad.
Excel is a great place to start if you don't have a system that has all your members' email addresses, cellphone numbers, or mailing address details; or you need to format them from a jumble of addresses to one per line. Enter or copy your voter list first into an excel document. Organize the data to follow the layout that Electionbuddy will ask for the information for:
These are all the possible columns that you can have in your voter list for a high-integrity election in Electionbuddy. The actual columns that you will have depends on the options you are utilizing in your election setup. For example, if you were only doing SMS (text message) notices with ballot IDs, the table that Electionbuddy would present to you would have two columns: "ID" and "SMS Phone". They would appear in that order, as they do in the above image. So, when preparing your voter list to put into Electionbuddy, ensure that the information you are trying to put in is organized appropriately.
In a medium-integrity election, the column, "ID" is replaced with "Key" - corresponding to the administrator-created access key for that voter.
Here is the specific, step-by-step process for transferring your list from Excel to Electionbuddy:
- Ensure that your Excel data is in the order as identified in E
- Select all your data, making sure to avoid selecting any column headings (usually the first row in your list).
- Copy the cells that you have selected in Excel.
- Open E
lectionbuddy,and in the voter list field, paste the copied list (click on the first box in the list and simultaneously press "CTRL" + "V" on a Windows, or "CMND" + "V" on a Mac).
- Click outside the field to review your list. You can then scroll through the list to review for any errors. If you have errors, and your list is very large, it will probably be easier to edit your Excel list and copy and paste a second time, as opposed to fixing directly in the field, but you can edit your voter list directly in Electionbuddy as well.
There are some things to keep in mind with the formatting and organizing of your Excel list:
- Ensure that there is only one email or cell phone number per box/line.
- Ensure that your voter list column names are arranged as per Electionbuddy's voter list columns.
- Remove all the spaces in any email addresses or cell phone numbers.
- Some special characters, such as "," and "&", can sometimes cause issues, so tread lightly with, them if possible.