Calculating the Winner — Voting and Tally Methods
Electionbuddy tries to cater to as many voting-type requirements as possible! Elections supported include:
- Plurality Voting (or First Past the Post Voting) - Vote for one or more candidates for each position.
- Preferential Voting (or Instant Runoff) - Rank each candidate for each position.
- We also offer Single Transferable Vote (STV), which is a multi-seat preferential voting system.
- Approval Voting - Approve or disprove each candidate/option for a position.
- Please note that approval voting is not for ratifying a single candidate. Referendums are the correct choice for anything that requires a "Yes/No" answer.
- For further information on approval voting, please see Wikipedia.
- Referendums - Ask a question that requires a Yes/No response.
- Election Announcements and Candidate Nomination - Announce an election and allow voters to suggest candidates.
- Cumulative Voting - Voters are allowed a number of votes, up to the number of vacancies for that position, and can choose to put more than one vote for each option.
For more information on these election types, visit our tour page! If you have a specific need for another type of election method or tally method, please let us know! If we get enough requests, we will definitely consider implementing it.