"Voter Anonymity" Settings
The "Voter Anonymity" setting allows election administrators to adjust the anonymity of their voter population's voting choices. This setting has some important consequences for when your election is live, and votes are being cast.
Voters cannot be linked to their choices.
- This is Electionbuddy's default, and the way elections had to be run through us previously - if you liked the voter anonymity that Electionbuddy has always provided, use this option.
- This option is commonly required by organization bylaws or governing legislature.
- If you are ever unsure of whether the administrator is allowed to view voter choices, protect yourself by choosing this option.
Voters are linked to their choices for the election administrator to view.
- Only the election administrator can view voter choices - other voters, and people outside of the election, cannot.
- This option is useful for collecting data about your voter population that voters may not want to share with other voters (ex. collecting opinions on an organizational process).
- Voter choices can only be viewed during the live election if the election administrator is allowed to view the results while the election is running.
Show of Hands
Voters are linked to their choices for anyone with access to the results to view.
- If someone can get to your election's "Results" page, they can see who/what your voters voted for - it is open for anyone to view, including other voters.
- This option is useful for collecting non-sensitive data about your voter population that voters won't care about sharing with others (ex. what to have for food options at an event held by your organization).
- Voter choices can only be viewed by other voters if the election administrator has permitted results-sharing with voters in their election setup, and when voters will be able to see voter choices is also dictated by the election administrator's choice with the results visibility settings.
Other Important Things to Note
Here are some further things to note when making a selection for this setting:
- An election cannot be certified by Electionbuddy if the administrator chooses a setting that allows them to know their voters' choices.
- We recommend reviewing your organization's bylaws and governing legislature to be sure that your election will still be valid if the election administrator is allowed to see who/what voters have voted for before choosing which setting to proceed with, as this setting cannot be changed when your election is running.