Calculating the Winner — Voting and Tally Methods
ElectionBuddy tries to cater to as many voting-type requirements as possible! Election systems supported include:
- Plurality Voting (or First Past the Post Voting) — the multi-purpose voting method. Vote for one or more candidates for each position, or vote on "Yes/No" questions.
- Preferential Voting (or Instant Runoff) — Rank each candidate for each position.
- We also offer Single Transferable Vote (STV), which is a multi-seat preferential voting system.
- Approval Voting — Approve or disprove each candidate/option for a position.
- Please note that approval voting is not for ratifying a single candidate. Plurality is the correct choice for anything that requires a "Yes/No" answer.
- Election Announcements and Candidate Nomination — Announce an election and allow voters to suggest candidates.
- Cumulative Voting — Voters are allowed a number of votes, up to the number of vacancies for that position, and can choose to put more than one vote for each option.
- Scored Voting — Give each option or candidate a score on a given scale.
For more information on these election types, visit our tour page.