Editing Your Election when the Election is "Ready to Run", or is "Running"
When finished with your election setup, you are asked to review your election, and then pay (if required). Once you finish that, you are required to hit "Start Election" in order to activate your election. If your election is not scheduled to run immediately, it sits in a "Ready to Run" stage, and ElectionBuddy will get it running at your scheduled time, without any further input from you. When your election is live, it is in the "Running" stage.
You can make edits to your election setup in both the "Ready to Run" and "Running" stages. However, each of these stages has a different protocol surrounding the edits that can be made in each stage.
"Ready to Run" Elections
If the election is in a "Ready to Run" stage:
- You can feel free to edit, but please note the following message that will appear when you attempt to edit your election setup:
- You will be asked to go through the "Review" page one more time, to review the item that you have edited.
- You will also be asked to "Proceed to Payment", if your election does not qualify as a free election, although you may already have paid.
- This is because the amount you paid was credited to your account when you made your edits, in case the edit you made makes a change to the cost of your election.
- All you have to do is proceed to the payment page to redeem the credits and get your election ready to run again!
If the election is in a "Running" stage, you are much more limited as to what can be edited:
- You can add new voters to the election, provided you have reserved voter keys in your election setup.
- You can remove voters from your voter list by spoiling their ballot.
- You can edit a voter's contact information (but you can only do this twice).
- You can change your election's end time and date.
You cannot change any of the positions, candidates, or question information for your ballot. If you want to make any changes to your ballot, you will need to cancel the election, duplicate it, and then re-run the election. This is because:
- We want to ensure that you have the fairest election possible. If you changed candidate information, the voters who have already
votedmay want to change their information.
- If you change or add more than reserved voting keys, you have the capability to overly influence the election outcome in the middle of an election.
If you have made a bunch of errors in setup and want to stop your election, please just close the election (do not delete it - just close it) and contact us about helping you