Voter List — Allowing for Duplicate Email Addresses
Sometimes, you have email address lists where you want to have voters that share an email address vote separately. For example, a husband and wife share an email address but are both members
There are two ways that you can handle this:
- You can give Electionbuddy a different unique identifier for each voter, in the form of a ballot identifier (also known as a ballot ID). As long as the ballot IDs for the same email addresses are different, Electionbuddy will not flag them as duplicates of each other:
For more details on setting up a ballot ID, please review our related article on ballot IDs.
- If you do not want to use ballot IDs, you can request a manual access key for the duplicate email. To do so:
- Return to the "Notice" page of your election setup, and check the box that corresponds with "Create Notices Yourself".
- Proceed back to the "Voters" page of your election setup. Under the voter list input area, a new piece should have appeared:
- In the box indicated above, enter the number of keys that you will need, corresponding to the number of duplicate email addresses you need to account for.
- When your election is live, it will be your obligation to surface and share any manual access keys with your voters. To surface them, you can either:
- Find your manual keys by filtering by "Type - Manual" on your voter list.
- Check the box next to any "Available" manual key, and from the drop-down menu that appears, choose "Surface Access Key".
- Go to the "Actions" button in the top-right hand corner of the "Results" page of your running election.
- From the drop-down list that appears, choose "Download Keys".
- A popup window should appear with two links: click on "Download keys for voters without contact information".
- You can share the keys with your voters however you'd like (we just really recommend that you share them confidentially if you don't want to have a lot of unauthorized proxy voting issues). You will also want to direct your voters to https://electionbuddy.com/ballot. This access link will take them to a screen where they will be prompted to enter their access key.