|Setup||Distribution and Voting|
As with all notice types, printed notices can be set up as your only notice type, or can be used in combination with other notice types.
Setting Up Printed Notices as Your Only Notice Type
- On your "Notice" stage of setup, select "Printed notices":
- You can include a QR code on these notices — voters can scan the QR code with a mobile device to be taken directly to the ballot on that device.
- You can also customize the notice template, if you want.
- A paper ballot can be included with printed notices; see Setting Up an Election with Paper Ballots for more details.
- Proceed to the "Voters" tab in your election setup.
- There are several ways that you can handle the manual keys from here; choose one of the following, depending on whether you want to be able to associate a specific voter with their access key in ElectionBuddy while the election is live. 1) If you do not want to be able to keep track of which specific access key belongs to which voter in your voter list when your election is live:
- Scroll down to "Voter Information".
- In the white box, input the number of printed notices you need:
- Under "Voter Options", choose "Ballot IDs":
- Scroll down to "Voter Information". A voter list is required for ballot IDs.
- Insert a voter list of ballot IDs for your voters by copying and pasting, typing a voter list, importing a voter list from a previous election, or by importing a CSV file.
Finish setting up your election, proceed to the "Review" page, and get your election started.
2) If you do want to be able to keep track of which specific access key belongs to which voter in your voter list while your election is live:
Setting Up Printed Notices Alongside Other Notice Types
- When creating an election, under "Notices", choose "Create Notices Yourself", along with any other notice types you are using:
- Edit your notice templates for your notice types as required, and then proceed to the "Voters" stage of your election setup.
- You will see that ballot IDs are automatically enabled in the "Voter Options" settings. Ballot IDs are mandatory when using multiple notice types for an election (see our article on Ballot IDs for more information).
- Scroll down to "Voter Information". A voter list is required.
- For your voter list, all voters must have a ballot ID. Whether they have any other information depends on what notice type you are using for them. Below is an example of how you might set up your voter list if you had two voters using email notices, two voters using SMS notices, and two voters using printed notices:
- Ballot IDs "1" and "2" correspond to voters receiving email notices.
- Ballot IDs "3" and "4" correspond to voters receiving SMS notices.
- Ballot IDs "5" and "6" correspond to voters receiving printed notices, as there is no contact information for them.
- Finish setting up your election, proceed to the "Review" page, and get your election started.
Distribution and Voting with Printed Notices
When your election is "Ready", or "Running", you will be able to download your printed notices to print them. These notices can be viewed/downloaded from the "Results" page of your election in two ways:
- Downloading a single printed notice:
- Locate the ballot ID that corresponds to the printed notice that you want to download in your voter list. You can do this manually, or by searching in the search bar at the top of the voter list.
- Check the checkbox associated with that voter.
- A list of drop-down options will appear. To get that voter's notice, choose "Print Notice":
- A new tab will open up in your web browser that contains a PDF of your voter's printed notice.
- You can then download and then print the notice, or you can print the notice directly from your browser.
- That voter's status will turn from "Available" to "Printed" in your voter list.
- Downloading all printed notices:
- Locate the "Actions" menu in the top-right of the screen.
- From the drop-down list of options that appear, choose "Print Notices".
- A window will appear with two options for printing your notices — you can choose to print them for all your voters, or print them for just your voters with no contact information:
- If you need to distribute physical voting material to your voters, in addition to any electronic notifications they receive, choose "for everyone". However, if they have contact information, please note that this information cannot be updated once their notice is printed.
- To print notices for your voters without contact information, choose "only for voters created with no contact information".
- A new tab will open up in your web browser that contains a PDF of your voters' printed notices. You can download and then print the PDF, or you can print the notices directly from your browser.
- All voters whose notices were printed will now show their status as "Printed" in your voter list.
The printed notices can be distributed by mail, or you can physically hand the notice to the voter.
To vote, your voters simply need to follow the instructions in the notice.