Voter List — Copy and Paste Voter Information from Excel or Other Spreadsheets
- One email or cell phone number per box/line is allowed.
- Arrange your excel data in the same order that you see in the ElectionBuddy voter list table (be sure to remove any extra columns). Your excel list should have the same number of columns as the ElectionBuddy list.
- Be sure to remove any headings you have at the top of your excel list, or you will have an error when you copy and paste.
- See the example below for a 2 column copy and paste of ID and Email
In the above ElectionBuddy voter list, your spreadsheet should have data arranged with your ID information in the first column, and email information in the second column, with no heading rows.
Remove all the spaces in any email addresses or cell phone numbers.
Some special characters, such as "," and "&", may cause issues. It's best to remove them.
Mailing addresses have very specific formatting around them, including required/optional fields and specific character limits, see Formatting Tips for Mailing Addresses for more details.
- For Windows users, press "CTRL" + "C" simultaneously on your keyboard.
- For Mac users, press "CMND" + "C" simultaneously on your keyboard.
- For Windows users, press "CTRL" + "V" simultaneously on your keyboard.
- For Mac users, press "CMND" + "V" simultaneously on your keyboard.
- After preparing your data in an Excel sheet as per the above, select all the relevant columns. Remember, avoid selecting any column headings (usually the first row in your list), and if you have columns that don't match the ElectionBuddy columns, it is easiest to remove them in excel before copying. That way, you can select all the cells in excel, and paste them once into ElectionBuddy, as opposed to column by column
- Copy the cells that you have selected in Excel using the keyboard shortcuts as noted above
- Open Ele
ctionBuddy,and in the voter list field, and using the keyboard shortcuts, paste the copied list into the upper left cell. You don't need to select all the cells, just the upper left one.
- Click outside the field to review your list.
- Validate columns by pressing the "Validate List" Button
- Scroll through the list to review for errors. Any errors will be highlighted just under the Validate List Button.
- Make sure that you only copy and paste the columns in excel that match the columns in ElectionBuddy.
- If you have errors, and your list is very large, it will probably be easier to edit your Excel list and copy and paste a second time, as opposed to fixing directly in the ElectionBuddy list.
Copying and pasting is the simplest method to get your voter list into ElectionBuddy. We strongly recommend this method for smaller voter lists (under 5000 voters), or if you are struggling with the CSV import function.
Preparing Your Voter List for ElectionBuddy
Excel is a great place to start when organizing your voter information for ElectionBuddy. There are some things to keep in mind with the formatting and organizing of your Excel list:
How to Copy and Paste Your Voter List from Excel to ElectionBuddy