Performing a Runoff Election
Many organizations have bylaws stating that a majority vote (i.e. >50% of the total submitted votes) must be reached by a candidate for them to be elected to a position. In the event that a majority is not reached by any of the candidates, runoff elections are performed to determine a winner.
Here are the steps you will want to take when proceeding forward with a run-off in Electionbuddy:
- Verify which questions you will need to re-run, and your top two candidates for those questions, by checking the "Results" at the end of the first election:
- Locate the "Actions" menu in the top-right of the screen, and click "Duplicate" from the drop-down list of items that appears
- You will be brought into the "Details" stage of the new election you've just created via duplication. First, check the election title and remove the "Duplicate of" from the title.
- Edit your start/end dates and times (tip: you can type "now" into the start time to have the election launch as soon as you click "Start Election" on the "Review" page).
- Scroll to the bottom of the "Details" page and click "Save and Continue to Ballot Design".
- Edit your ballot. To remove questions that have reached majority and do not need to be re-run, click the [X] in the top-right of the question:
For any questions that are being re-run, make sure you change the vacancy number for that question to "1" (you can do this before or after removing candidates, but if you do it after removing candidates, be careful that "Allow write-ins" hasn't been turned on):
To remove candidates from questions that are being re-run, click the [X] next to the candidate's name:
Scroll down and click "Proceed to Voter Notice".
- You will not have to make any changes to the "Notice" page. You can scroll down and click "Continue to Voter List".
- Assuming that your voter list will not need to change, you do not need to make any changes to the "Voters" page. However, it may ask you to validate your voter list again, so to do that, just click the "Validate" button underneath the voter list table:
- Scroll down and click "Continue to Review".
- On the Review page, proceed through the four Review steps (testing the ballot, confirming the voter list, verifying election details, and agreeing to the terms and conditions).
- Click "Start Election" or "Proceed to payment" to get the election going!